Length: 2 hours (1 hour each session)
Cost: $75 for members, $100 for non-members
Learn to address big-picture issues including structure, plot, story, tension, continuity, world-building and character growth in fiction and memoir manuscripts. Excellent for those who work with indie authors, and those who want a greater understanding of dramatic structure, how to use it, and how to explain it to a client.
The key learning objectives of this webinar will include the following:
- In a World: You have 170k words, but is there a story?
- Starting with SUCK: Kicking off the plot strongly in the first page (Simple, Unexpected, Concrete Kickoff).
- The Crazy Eight: Eight structural elements that make strong stories and identify plot holes.
- The “I Want” Song: Character objectives make strong protagonists and intriguing villains.
- All Books Are Mysteries: How “show don’t tell” works in structure.
- Wait, Where?: World-building through interaction.
Allison K Williams, the Unkind Editor, is the author of Self-Edit Like a Pro and Get Published in Literary Magazines. She has edited for indies and Big Five publishers, and serves as social media editor for Brevity.