- Preparing to Offer Plain Language Services
- Audience-Focused Plain Language Practices
- Plain Language Writing and Editing Techniques
- Testing for User Understanding
Dates: Monday to Thursday, October 22, 23, 24 & 25, 2018
Time: 12 p.m., EDT / 9 a.m., PDT
Length: Four 1-hour sessions over four days
Member price: $157.50+ HST
Non-Member price: $225.00 + HST
1. Preparing to Offer Plain Language Services
Not everyone will be informed about plain language. Success will depend on your ability to explain, plan and promote plain language as an integrated service. You’ll learn the key benefits of plain language to promote. Specifically, the webinar will
- Provide an overview of global approaches to plain language
- Present the five stages of the plain language process
- Teach you how to sell the benefits of plain language
- Help you plan to implement plain language with leader support
After this webinar, you will understand the five stages of the plain language process, how to set out a plan for plain language services and ways to build support with leaders and peers.
2. Audience-Focused Plain Language Practices
Plain language practitioners invest heavily in getting to know, understand and involve their audiences in the process—from start to finish. You will learn how to gain insights into your audience’s needs. Specifically, the webinar will
- Include audience role play
- Teach you how to create personas to increase audience empathy
- Present the benefits of audience appreciation
- Explore ways to target and benefit from audience involvement
After this webinar, you will see how to create and use personas and to understand audience involvement in process.
3. Writing and Editing Techniques
Plain language writing and editing use a holistic approach from the planning to the presentation. Clarity, conciseness and organization are delivered to meet the clients’ needs, discovered during the audience assessment stage. Examples, exercises and checklists will help you fuse plain language onto your existing skills and services. Specifically, this webinar will show you
- How to integrate plain language writing and editing styles, supported by checklists
- How to incorporate plain language writing guidelines and editing approaches
- The role of plain language in online and social media messages
After this webinar, you will have ideas on how to integrate plain language writing and editing into your services and develop resources. You’ll see before-and-after examples that demonstrate plain language.
4. Testing for User Understanding
Plain language testing and evaluating with audiences/users is a critical part of the process. We’ll look at options from basic approaches to focus groups to user testing. You will gain confidence in selecting and using testing methods or services. Specifically, this webinar will teach you
- About testing tools and options
- How to match testing to the task
- Ways to use the findings to direct writing, editing and design
This webinar will show you how to test content, match methods to a project, and apply results.
Kate Harrison Whiteside
When Kate first saw the benefits of plain language for writers, readers and organizations, she integrated it into her writing, consulting and training services. That was over 25 years ago. Her commitment has grown beyond just her businesses. Kate is PLAIN (Plain Language Association International) membership co-chair, PLAIN and IPlainDay co-creator, conference speaker (PLAIN 2017, EC 2018), mentor and advocate. Motivated by her positive plain language experiences, Kate offers others the chance to learn through webinars, workshops and the PlainLanguageAcademy.com online program. Working from the inspiring Kootenay region in southern BC, Kate keeps spreading the word: plain language works for everyone.